Skip to main content

The Tornados

I have a simple confession to make.

There is no pop single that I loved as much as "Telstar" by The Tornados on its release in August 1962. Though this love has diminished somewhat with time, I consider it a truly great pop single that still stirs something of that initial excitement I originally felt when I heard it all those years ago.

At the time I would have considered myself well informed on the pop scene. So I was already aware of the Tornados from a previous unsuccessful single "Love and Fury".
Once however I heard Telstar I decided "this was it" and that I had never heard a better pop instrumental. So like a religious missionary I quickly spread the "good news" to my school pals predicting that it would be a massive hit.

On this at least I was proven correct in a manner that then exceeded all my expectations. Indeed its success filled me with such a sense of pleasure that it might as well have been my own creation.

It quickly went on to top the charts in the UK and in the newly published charts here in Ireland. Then it hit big in the US where the Tornados became the first British group (before the Beatles) to top the Billboard chart.

Its success was largely down to the considerable talents of the legendary Joe Meek who both wrote and produced the song. Meek was a difficult and troubled man who was however ahead of his time in terms of his recording ability (somewhat in the same manner as Les Paul who we profiled previously).

The record's success for a while suggested that the Tornados might rival that great instrumental group of the 60's i.e. the Shadows in popularity. But that was not to be. Though they soon released another good effort "Ridin' the Wind" it was wasted on an EP (which enjoyed limited sales). Though the first few follow-up singles achieved a degree of success, the magic quickly dissipated due to the somewhat repetitive nature of what was on offer.

As Joe Meek's career in parallel also went into decline, he suffered badly from depression. Then on 3rd February 1967 - the 8th anniversary of "the day the music died" - his life ended in tragedy. He murdered his landlady with a handgun before shooting himself deliberating choosing that very day to commit these gruesome acts.

Just as the Shadows were the backing group for Cliff Richard in the 1960's, likewise the Tornados acted as the backing group for Billy Fury for a short while in the early 60's. Billy Fury was a rival in popularity to Cliff at this time and for a brief while their backing groups shared this rivalry.

However though backing Fury on tour they rarely appeared on his studio recordings. Only recently did I have the pleasure to hear them actually backing "the boss" on "Nobody's Child" (YouTube) which has a special plaintive quality - reminiscent of Elvis Presley's "Old Shep" - that is unmatched on the many other recordings of this song.


PS I was certainly no fan of Margaret Thatcher when she was at the helm in the '80's. However, somewhat surprisingly, I later discovered something in common i.e. that she was a great fan of "Telstar".
Maybe on reflection she wasn't so bad after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bert Jansch

In the early 70's I spent part of the summer doing some construction work with a motley group in a rehab centre in south Dublin. As the weather was good we lunched outdoors in the middle of the day. A record player was found and an album that I had never heard before was played which I found captivating. One song in particular "Needle of Death" really impacted with me in a way that only a handful of tracks have ever done. Music has the wonderful capacity to resonate - at least occasionally - in a profoundly meaningful manner. And this certainly was one such occasion! I remember looking at the album sleeve and mistakenly leaving with the impression that it was by Bert Yance. And on several occasions over the years, I tried without success to learn more about this artist. Then some 25 years or so later, I spotted a notice outside the College where I work in Dublin promoting an upcoming performance by Bert Jansch nearby in Whelans. In that moment I realised the true id

Ray Charles

I cannot say that I was ever a great fan of Ray Charles though I could appreciate that he was very talented. I do remember however that one of the early singles that I purchased was his biggest hit "I Can't Stop Loving You". Those early single purchases were momentous occasions back then providing welcome relief from school routine. I recall the HMV label on which it was released in Ireland with its pale blue colour. In those days one would inevitably flip over the other side to see if it contained some hidden treasure. (It generally didn't)! However I can still hear the closing refrain "Born to lose, and now I'm losing you". As is well known the peak of Ray Charles' popularity came in the early 60's when - unusual for a black performer - he recorded two albums devoted to Country and Western material. "I Cant' Stop Loving You" was a single taken off the first album. However my own particular favourite was "Take Thes

John Denver

To be honest I was not a great fan of John Denver during his period of great commercial success in the US in the early 70's. His first great hit - apart from "Leaving on a Jet Plane" recorded by Peter, Paul and Mary - was "Take Me Home Country Roads". I have to say this is just one of those songs that does nothing for me (whether sung by John Denver or on a cover such as that of Olivia Newton John). I felt the same about many of his other popular "country" efforts such as "Rocky Mountain High"and "Sunshine on My Shoulder". Indeed I did not even like his voice at the time! Though this changed somewhat with "Annie's Song" and "I'm Sorry" it was not till the early 80's that I became a fan (and a big one at that!) What changed my opinion so much was the album "Seasons of the Heart" given to me by a Denver fan at work. It left an indelible impression on me with a couple of tracks on it still amon