Skip to main content

Les Paul

I watched a fascinating programme on Les Paul last night on BBC 4. I was in two minds beforehand as to whether to bother but it turned out to the best 90 minutes of TV that I have seen in a long time.

I have of course heard of Les Paul and his successful association with Mary Ford, especially "How High the Moon". But I did not realise how great a guitarist and creator he actually was. Most of all, though in his 90's when footage for the programme was shot, he turned out to be a wonderfully engaging personality.

Why was he so successful? Obviously he had a considerable inherent talent (indeed many great talents). Not alone did he develop a unique playing style (combining both country and jazz influences) he was a true innovator of sound and the first to develop overdubbing and multi track techniques which he exploited brilliantly in his own recordings (especially with Mary Ford). However the real secret that came across was a tremendous self confidence in his ability. He seemed to be lucky again and again at different points of his career. For example when he took his band at the time to New York he immediately gained an audience with the great band leader Paul Whiteman. Then when he went to Hollywood he once again gained the immediate attention of Bing Crosby. Later when he had come up with his exciting new instrumental sound he was able to wander into Capitol Records and come up with an immediate contract.


Clearly he had great gifts.

However it is a sobering fact that a great many people of considerable talent who never manage to make any real impression throughout their careers (despite their best efforts).

I think the difference in his case was a calm though considerable self confidence that immediately won over all those that he sought out. This allied to an innate shrewdness and marketing ability acted to ensure his success. Luck generally only comes to those who are prepared to accept it and in this sense he was always prepared.

I rarely have seen a person who seemed so comfortable in his own skin (especially in his later years). As all his many admirers queued up to play with their idol he seemed utterly at ease, revelling in these impromptu sessions (which again is down to confidence in his own inherent ability).

He also displayed a wonderful stand up - or more accurately - sit down comic ability, as if he found it funnier than anyone that he could still be playing before an audience in his 90's.

He of course had no need to worry on this score as both in terms of his wonderful gift and his great natural humour he still outshone all his rivals.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bert Jansch

In the early 70's I spent part of the summer doing some construction work with a motley group in a rehab centre in south Dublin. As the weather was good we lunched outdoors in the middle of the day. A record player was found and an album that I had never heard before was played which I found captivating. One song in particular "Needle of Death" really impacted with me in a way that only a handful of tracks have ever done. Music has the wonderful capacity to resonate - at least occasionally - in a profoundly meaningful manner. And this certainly was one such occasion! I remember looking at the album sleeve and mistakenly leaving with the impression that it was by Bert Yance. And on several occasions over the years, I tried without success to learn more about this artist. Then some 25 years or so later, I spotted a notice outside the College where I work in Dublin promoting an upcoming performance by Bert Jansch nearby in Whelans. In that moment I realised the true id

Ray Charles

I cannot say that I was ever a great fan of Ray Charles though I could appreciate that he was very talented. I do remember however that one of the early singles that I purchased was his biggest hit "I Can't Stop Loving You". Those early single purchases were momentous occasions back then providing welcome relief from school routine. I recall the HMV label on which it was released in Ireland with its pale blue colour. In those days one would inevitably flip over the other side to see if it contained some hidden treasure. (It generally didn't)! However I can still hear the closing refrain "Born to lose, and now I'm losing you". As is well known the peak of Ray Charles' popularity came in the early 60's when - unusual for a black performer - he recorded two albums devoted to Country and Western material. "I Cant' Stop Loving You" was a single taken off the first album. However my own particular favourite was "Take Thes

The Beatles

I saw the Beatles second film “Help” recently which proved a nostalgic experience (having seen it originally at the time of its release in 1965). The plot seemed even more ridiculous than it did the 1st time around. However what rescued the whole thing for me were the superb songs like “Help”, “You’re Going to Lose that Girl”, “Ticket to Ride” and George’s “I Need You”. They sounded better than ever which possibly is due to the fact that the film has since been remastered. Indeed their entire catalogue has just been remastered with simultaneous releases of the Box Set and all the individual albums (including other single, B side and EP tracks). Now in the first week of release no less than 11 of these are included in the UK Top 40 (40 years or more after the original recordings). For me, no other band even came close to the Beatles both in the quality and range of the output. Though occasional single tracks by other groups such as The Rolling Stones, Procul Harum, The Moody Blues and